Tyne and Wear

Sunrise Sunset
°C
Today
11/04/2021
°C
Tonight
11/04/2021
°C
Tomorrow
12/04/2021
°C
Saturday
13/04/2021
°C
Sunday
14/04/2021
°C
Monday
15/04/2021
°C

CAMPAIGNERS KEEP FIGHTING: Controversial plans to build over park submitted

CAMPAIGNERS KEEP FIGHTING: Controversial plans to build over park submitted

Image: LDRS

Campaigners have promised to keep fighting after controversial plans to build over a park were submitted.

Fears were raised for the future of the play area and green space in the Holborn Riverside area of South Shields last year (2020) after plans were revealed for a major housing and regeneration project.

But after an application to begin construction was formally registered with South Tyneside Council, opponents have insisted they will keep pressing for a change to preserve the site.

“This development is really unpopular,” said mum-of-three Leyla Al-Sayadi, who began a drive to raise awareness of the proposals last year (2020).

“We want some of the houses to be built anywhere other than that field, although in an ideal world, none of them would be built there.

“This is going to restrict views [from the existing houses] and restrict access to the new houses, which is not something we want – we want it to be as clean and clear as possible.”

Developer Keepmoat Homes confirmed last week (Friday, February 26) it had submitted the plans to the local authority.

If the scheme is given the green light, it would pave the way for at least 350 houses, new offices and the renovation of former shipyard docks in the area.

But families have been angered by proposals for homes to be built on existing green space and a park between Laygate Street and Commercial Road.

Keepmoat has claimed the loss of potential income as a result of preserving the site would mean it was not financially viable.

Ian Prescott, the firm’s North East land and partnerships director, said: “The Holborn docks have lain derelict for several decades with major viability challenges having prevented previous proposals from developers and the Council coming to fruition.

“Having been selected as preferred developers last year (2020), after the council held an extensive marketing exercise, we have worked jointly with the council in an open and transparent way on the costs of the scheme to achieve proposals that can be delivered.

“We have sought to address local residents’ concerns and included a replacement play park in our proposals and the council is committed to improving open space in close proximity of the site.”

Visit www.facebook.com/groups/saveholbornriversidefield to find out more about the campaign to preserve the site.

Words: James Harrison, Local Democracy Reporter


Watch Live


Watch the channel on TV

7

Freeview

117

Sky

159

Virgin Media