Tyne and Wear TV

Sunrise Sunset
°C
Today
08/05/2021
°C
Tonight
08/05/2021
°C
Tomorrow
09/05/2021
°C
Saturday
10/05/2021
°C
Sunday
11/05/2021
°C
Monday
12/05/2021
°C

SOUTH SHIELDS PARK: Deadline approaching to have your say

SOUTH SHIELDS PARK: Deadline approaching to have your say

Image: LDRS

Time is running out to have your say on controversial plans to build on a South Shields park.

If approved, the proposals could see up to 350 homes built in the Holborn area of the town as part of a £200million blueprint for regeneration and other projects.

But campaigners fighting the scheme are urging families opposed to the scheme to formally submit their objections to South Tyneside Council in the hope of seeing the application rejected.

“There needs to be a lot more consultation with the public about what the planning objectives are,” said mum-of-three Leyla Al-Sayadi, who began a drive to raise awareness of the proposals last year (2020).

“This was put in a framework document 13 years ago, if people had been updated on it periodically there would have been less ambiguity.

“We want to keep this space public, we want this space to be for our families and our community.”

Plans were filed with the borough council for consideration in February, but the window for the public to submit their comments on the proposals is due to close on Friday (April 16) ahead of a decision later this year (2021).

Developer Keepmoat has predicted the £150 million scheme could create or protect a combined 1,500 jobs during construction and create up to 1,550 more opportunities at office space planned for the wider proposals.

As well as 297 homes expected to go on the market, a further 40 one and two-bedroom apartments and houses are expected to be offered at ‘affordable’ rents and 13 two-bedroom houses sold at discounted market rates.

Opponents to the scheme have said they support the regeneration of the area, but their concerns focused on the loss of green space and a children’s play area between Laygate Street and Commercial Road, near the former Holborn docks.

Following the submission of proposals, Ian Prescott, Keepmoat’s North East land and partnerships director, claimed preserving the site as it is would mean the loss of 53 properties from the plans and would likely ‘stall’ wider development.

He insisted a ‘compromise’ application devised after taking comment on board would retain some facilities while also ensuring the project remained ‘viable’.

  • The application reference for the scheme is: ST/0245/21/FUL

Words: James Harrison, Local Democracy Reporter


Watch Live


Watch the channel on TV

7

Freeview

117

Sky

159

Virgin Media