Tyne and Wear TV

Sunrise Sunset
°C
Today
05/12/2021
°C
Tonight
05/12/2021
°C
Tomorrow
06/12/2021
°C
Saturday
07/12/2021
°C
Sunday
08/12/2021
°C
Monday
09/12/2021
°C

LATEST PHASE: A1 dualling on track for 2024 finish

LATEST PHASE: A1 dualling on track for 2024 finish

Costain are looking to to get the scheme open for traffic in 2024/25

The latest phase of dualling the A1 could be completed by 2024, according to bosses on the project.

A total of 13 miles along the route are due to be converted to dual carriageway, between Morpeth and Ellingham, in Northumberland.

But before work can begin, travel chiefs are still waiting on a decision from the Government’s planning inspectorate on whether the scheme should be given the green light.

“We’re expecting the inspector’s decision in January 2022, following which there will be a cooling off period, allowing for the start of works in the summer,” said Stuart Culley, community engagement manager at Costain, a contractor appointed to the road upgrade.

“We’re looking to to get the scheme open for traffic in 2024/25.”

Project chiefs at National Highways, formerly known as Highways England, have previously predicted work will start in earnest between July – September next year.

What does the dualling involve?

The scheme has been split into two sections, with Government cash worth £290m allocated towards making it a reality.

The first stretch, between Morpeth and Felton, will see:

  • Eight miles of road upgraded to dual carriageway
  • A bypass constructed between Priests Bridge and Burgham Park
  • A new subway and bridge over the River Coquet

The second section, between Alnwick and Ellingham, will include:

  • A five-mile portion of highway converted to dual carriageway
  • A new junction at Charlton Mires

Updating Northumberland County Council’s Castle Morpeth Local Area Council on progress so far, Mr Culley said: “The scheme has has been relatively quiet recently, in terms of the public domain, but it doesn’t preclude the extensive work that’s going on behind the scenes.

“National Highways put in the development consent order application in July 2020.

“We held the public examination during the early part [of the year] through to the summer and now we’re just in the in the situation where we’re waiting for the planning inspector to make the decision, so that we know whether the scheme will be brought on board.”

 

Words: James Harrison, Local Democracy Reporter


Watch Live


Watch the channel on TV

7

Freeview

195

Sky

159

Virgin Media